The digs

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Getting the ball rolling / sneak peek at interior

Adam got the ball rolling on the house today. We have an appointment with the electrical inspector tomorrow. You can’t get the electricity turned on in a house that has been unoccupied without a wiring inspection, and we need electricity to start working on it. The inspection fee was $40.

We are having a 30-yard roll-off dumpster dropped off tomorrow so we can start clearing the debris out of the basement. The cost for the dumpster is $200, plus $85 per ton. I won’t add the tonnage into the costs, yet, since I don’t know what it’ll come to.

Anyway, blah blah blah, onto what you’re all dying to see: photos! These are just the teaser photos—the blurry photos from the real estate listings.

exterior, house, lawn

Doesn’t it look so cute? The nice green lawn makes a difference.

house, exterior, yard, outside, lawn

Here it is again. Our driveway is unpaved.

Did I mention we have a half acre lot? I can’t wait to start a garden!

Okay, and now what you’ve all been waiting for: interior photos!

kitchen, cupboards, stove, appliance

Here is the kitchen.

It looks so much better in the picture than it does in person. The border going around the top of the walls features these creepy Animal Farm-esque bipedal dancing pigs. I can’t have boogeying bovines in my kitchen, so the border’s gotta go. The stove seems pretty nice; it’s electric with flat burners. I’d like to replace the countertop and the sink, but the cupboards are fine, albeit dirty. There’s even a Lazy Susan. I think new handles and some wood polish would bring these cupboards to life.

I would like to tile the space between the cupboards and the countertop with turquoise tile, but I’m not sure if it’d be too much in an otherwise unassuming kitchen. I’m thinking we may have to keep the walls a flat white. Does anyone have any suggestions for what color paint would work for this kitchen’s walls?

bedroom, carpet, window

Here is the largest bedroom in the house.

The carpeting is no longer in the room, so try to imagine it without it. You can’t see in this picture how stained the walls are. I was thinking of painting this room a neutral oatmeal color or else something bold like olive green. What do you think? I’m not sure yet if we’re going to recarpet the bedrooms or pergo them; I guess it depends on the price. But this room will most likely be our bedroom. The closet is a good size too, with built-in shelving.

So now you’ve seen the inside of our igloo (I say igloo because there’s still no heat on…brr!). I need decorating suggestions! More “before” photos to come, don’t worry.  This weekend we will sally forth into the gloomy perils of The Basement, so you will get to see the real scary stuff soon. ‘Til then!

By the way, the running total is now $1411.

No comments:

Post a Comment