The digs

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

We closed today! It’s really starting!

We closed on the house today! I won’t bore you with the details but, like with most house buying experiences, it has been a very stressful month.
Things were off to an oh-so-promising start on Saturday when we went over to the house (with the seller’s permission) to run some tests on the plumbing and electric systems. After what felt like hours of shoveling snow (bank-owned properties usually aren’t maintained well, if at all) and trial-and-error, we attempted to head home and Adam’s car got stuck on the icy road by the house. After an hour of trying to get him out and causing major traffic backup, and after a passing car slid on the ice and almost hit my dad who was trying to assist us, Adam’s car was freed, but his exhaust system got ripped off in the process. Very, very sucky. That left us in a bad mood all day, and we had to amputate Adam’s tailpipe.

As you can see, we messed up traffic quite a bit on this quiet side street.
But, all the running around and frantic phone calls to my realtor are hopefully over now, and now we get to start down the long, dirty, cat-pee-scented road towards making our house habitable.
Here is a rundown of the main things the house needs before we can even think about decorating or fixing minor stuff:
-The basement needs to be gutted due to mold
-We need to install a heating system and de-winterize the pipes
-Appliances (it has a stove, but needs a dishwasher, a fridge, and a washer and dryer)
-The deck is rotting and needs to be replaced
-The front stairs need to be torn down and replaced
-Paint, paint, paint
-some sheetrocking
-New flooring (cat pee, remember?)
-Did I mention PAINT?
This weekend we are going to don some chicken-foot style rubber gloves and clean, clean, clean. The place is unbelievably dirty.

4 comments:

  1. Dumb question but since the house seems pretty darn...well, gross, at the minute are you still renting until you've gotten further in the renovations?

    I'm excited to see the progress! I see many IKEA trips down the line for you (and I think I should buy some stock in Home Depot or Lowe's or where ever you decide to get your supplies from!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we're still renting until further notice. The house isn't even habitable as is! You will have to come check it out next time you come visit your family out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I have a dishwasher if you'd like it. It is a portable one that my daughter used when she was renting during college. As far as I know it still works and would love to move from my basement to your house. Your mothers friend, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, that would be wonderful! We definitely need a dishwasher. Let me know when works for you and I can come pick it up in my truck. Thanks for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete