The digs

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Removing wallpaper borders and painting ceilings

Not a hugely productive day today, but I did get some important things done, with the help of my mom.

We painted the ceilings of the living room, and it looks really nice!

living room ceiling

There were cracks in the ceiling, so they had to be mudded and retaped, and then we primed the ceilings and painted them white. It looks beautiful now.

Then I ripped down the pig border from the kitchen. It was a long, frustrating process, but we found that the best method was:

1) spray with Dif


2) scrape with a paint scraper/putty knife to get the top layer off

3)spray with water and peel off remaining glue



And now the kitchen looks like this:

kitchen without borders

I call it “Kitchen Without Borders.” It used to look like this:

IMG_0343

And the other wall, before:

IMG_0362

Same wall, after:

hole in wall

Goodbye, pigs!

pig border

Seriously, WHY would you put that in your house?

And here is the progress on the guest room:

IMG_0385


Adam made a good point-- that the pictures on the blog don't convey one of the biggest changes in the house, the smell. When we first bought it, you could barely stand to be in it, but now thanks to lots of cleaning and painting the floors with Kilz, it's starting to smell like a house!



As far as expenses go, I had to spend $51.14 on more painting supplies today, which means I've spent $4231.19 so my far. Eff my effing L.

So, that’s everything we got done today. I’m really, really looking forward to getting some color on the wall next weekend. I wish I didn’t have to work all week! I just want to paint!

Speaking of working, I’m starting a second job tomorrow, which means blogging and doing work on the house will be few and far between. But such is life.

Onward!

3 comments:

  1. Glad the DIF worked for you. It is looking great there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, it's so amazing what a coat of paint does for a room. great job! be careful with the Dif - my mum was painting a ceiling one year and a drop of it fell off the ceiling and landed in her eye. I had to rush her to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want that pig wallpaper in my house. Do you know where it was bought?

    ReplyDelete